The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Field Report

Another promising day cut short by pissy weather. I did okay for a short 2-hr burst.

Here's what I got:


One sale had a nice variety of blues and folk CDs: Elmore James, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Fred McDowell (which I'm loving), Big Bill Broonzy.... I don't specifically buy CDs to resell but if I'm curious about a disk and it doesn't work out between us, I pop it on Amazon or trade it in.

He had music books as well. As I was plucking the good ones from the table I heard a woman behind me say "Well there WERE a lot of folk music books." Heh heh. I wish I had the chutzpah to give her a bookmark and say "You can buy them from me tomorrow," but that wouldn't win me any friends.


Two nice Golden books. Love the art in the Huckleberry Hound. Hope I can undo that amateur tape repair to the head of spine.


An interesting autographed history of pulp/comic illustrator Everett Raymond Kinstler who eventually painted the official White House portraits of Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan. Lastly my favorite find a McLoughlin Bros edition of the once-popular children's book Sandford and Merton "In Words of One Syllable" (they even apologize in the preface that the protags names have two syllables). The cover shows a comfortably dressed boy tying a snake around the leg of a Dapper Dan. Apparently that's to keep him from getting uppity with the vocabulary words.

No comments: