The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Film Noir Miis: Peter Lorre

I'm currently devouring the Peter Lorre biography The Lost One by Stephen D. Youngkin. 50 pages in (out of nearly 600) and Lorre's already addicted to morphine and has suffered a series of health and mental breakdowns. I can't wait to read more.

Thought I'd make another noir Mii to commemorate:


I'm only semi-satisfied with this one. Without flop sweat and a dangling cigarette, It's hard to capture Lorre's essence.

I used to just plow through a director's filmography and figure that actors were incidental, but lately I've been working my way through the noir regulars (Mitchum, Stanwyck, Lorre, etc). Maybe it's the cult of pretty and the lack of great character actors in contemporary Hollywood that's sending me back, but it's fascinating to watch the development of these great faces and personas throughout their careers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great book -- "The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre"! Have you visited the official website -- www.PeterLorreBook.com?

William Smith said...

Not yet. But I'm listening to a Lotte Lenya record so now seems like a good time.