The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Dover Books Order Sheet 1961


I just found this order sheet for 1961 Dover new releases folded in a book (click on image for larger version). Dover was the first publisher I learned to watch for in my early reading career--and with such diverse offerings as Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes and Finger Prints, Palms and Soles, it's easy to see why they made an impression.

For those who don't know, Dover specialized in obscure public domain titles that hadn't seen print for decades. The books were chosen from widely varied fields and many were offered in facsimile editions including the original type design and illustrations. This definitely awakened a taste for out-of-the-way books to which I owe my present livelihood (okay, maybe it's a more of a lethargihood).

Print-on-demand, Project Gutenberg, Google Books and other digital delivery systems have put a hurt on this business model and Dover's current focus is on clip art (with CD-roms), beautiful ethnographic and mythological coloring books and thrift editions of staple reading-list novellas.

I started to compile a scouting list of Dover books that have a decent resale value ($20 and up) but I stalled since the market is in such flux. Maybe, I'll get back to it after the holiday.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Thats a fun list!

I still like the Dover thrift editions that come out these days. I know it's a different market and all, but it is fun to get your hands on a cheap edition of some works that can get to be fairly expensive otherwise.