The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Monday, December 3, 2007

E-Mail Hijacking

Tonight was a rough night. I came home after tromping through sleet to find that my business e-mail had been hijacked and was happily sending spam for hours.

One top of that I received a perfectly timed phishing email saying that I had just purchased $2000 laptop from Walmart.com.

Normally phishing e-mails don't phase me but because of the hijacking, I had visions of someone harvesting my credit card from my e-mail account settings and purchasing an island off Borneo. So I did the round of credit report calls before searching the text and figuring out it was a known phishing/malware beastie. Good times

I've been using Earthlink but as soon as I can shift my accounts, I'm outta there.

This is the text of the spam. If you're one of the thousands of people who received this ONE TIME OPPORTUNITY from me already, I apologize for the redundancy.

UNITED ASIA TRADING COMPANY LIMITED GROUP
Payment Managers Wanted for 2007 Quarter
Job Processing Unit (Uatcltd-Group)
United Asian Trading Company.
dommay1010@rediffmail.com
Phone: +447045766996

WE HAVE A JOB OFFER AVAILABLE FOR YOU IN RESPONSE TO
YOUR INITIAL REQUESTING THE JOB SEARCH DIRECTORY IS FOR USA/CANADA/uk ONLY.WE BASED IN UK.WE HAVE BEEN RECEIVING ORDERS FROM NORTHERN AMERICA, WHICH WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PROCESS COMPLETELY SINCE WE DO NOT HAVE A PAYMENT RECEIVING PERSONNEL IN THESE AREAS.WE HAVE DECIDED TO RECRUIT PAYMENT
OFFICERS ONLINE HENCE WE WILL BE NEEDING A REPRESENTATIVE TO PROCESS OUR PAYMENTS IN THESE AREAS.if interested get back with this information FULL NAME AND ADDRESS STATE,CITY,ZIPCODE,PHONE NUMBER. WHENEVER YOU RECEIVE PAYMENT YOU WILL GET 10% ON EACH. IF YOU GET PAYMENT OF $3500 YOU WILL GET $350 FROM THAT AND GET THE 90% TO THE COMPANY.

GOD BLESS YOU.
Dom May

I wish I could decode e-mail headers because it's looks to contain good info as to the source.

The moral is:
a) Use long complicated passwords that you cycle periodically
b) avoid being a dumb-ass.


No comments: