The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Paul Rader Midwood Cover Model


Girls Dormitory (Midwood F343) 1963 AUTHOR: Joan Ellis ARTIST: Paul Rader, originally uploaded by Hang Fire Books.

While uploading a new batch of covers to flickr, I noticed that the woman in the background of this Paul Rader painting was done using the same model/photograph as in this 1964 Rader cover I posted previously.



Looks like a new painting rather than over-painting or art director recycling as you frequently see on these covers. It's an interesting glimpse into Rader's artistic process.

Lots of fresh cheesecake in my Pulp Fiction Cover Gallery. You can subscribe to an RSS feed of my covers here if interested
(this is separate from/in addition to the regular blog feed) .

Hang Fire Flickr Feed

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I wonder if they paid the model for both covers.

William Smith said...

I have a feeling she was copied from a "gentleman's magazine" and wasn't hired by the artist or publisher directly, so probably not.