The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Field Report: New Treo Phone


My new phone and the mild weather got me out and scouting again. I found some nice items and the improved functionality of the Treo browser made the research more pleasant and efficient (my brain is still my primary scouting tool, the phone just improves the margins).

I found a number of 1sts for the Vault. These are hi-grade first printings of books--fairly common now-- that I'm going to bury for a decade or so while looking for signatures and other improvement opportunities. Including:
  • 3 Lemony Snicketts
  • and finally (after a year or more of looking at an average 2 copies per 3 feet of shelf I scan) a Da Vinci Code 1st...no jacket unfortunately
I also found a signed copy (with a cat sketch) of the Peter Sis title, Three Golden Keys.


The hard-to-find neuroscience title Dynamic Patterns: The Self-Organization of Brain and Behavior by J. A. Scott Kelso.

And lastly Dispensational Truth, or God's Plan and Purpose in the Ages, self-published by Clarence Larkin. Larkin was a mechanical engineer, draftsman and manufacturer, who heard the call and became a Baptist pastor. He used his technical background to create elaborate charts of biblical symbolism and historical eras.


Not sure about the soundness of his theology. I'm betting it's a little...quirky. The charts however are beautiful and absolutely frameable. The Larkin estate sells prints here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be fascinating to see a post about how you use the Treo in your searching, including what software/scanner, etc. I've been deeply researching the idea, discussing with other bricks and mortar sellers about the conflicted feelings over the "authenticity" of using such a tool and all--and would love to see your thoughts on it.