The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Friday, February 13, 2009

A Few New Blogs

...that I've been enjoying recently.

Two by the author of an interesting sounding upcoming book "Take me to the Water: Immersion Baptism in Vintage Music and Photography 1890-1950" (Dust-to-Digital, April '09)
Dull Tool, Dim Bulb: "A blog about surface, wear, form and authenticity in art, antiques and photography. Dull tool and dim bulb were the only swear words my father ever used"; with a recent post on Hobo Nickels that has me checking the pockets of every patched up coat I find in a thrift store.


and
Gals Gams and Garters: documenting--one clipping at a time--the scrapbook of a leg and garter aficionado that was dumpster-dived in Virginia in the 60s.

Also collector and archivist Vincent Lexington Harper has built a digital gallery of vintage Asian advertising art called Old Orient Museum. It features tons of vintage tobacco and pin-up advertising (much of which was destroyed during China's Cultural Revolution). This site's a little Flash heavy for my taste (though I love the soundtrack) but it's a rich resource.

I'll add all three of these to my sidebar link lists.

1 comment:

losfeld said...

Thanks for the links, especially Gals Gams and Garters... i think i'll take more than a look over there...