The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New York Panorama

Those of you who listen to New York Public Radio or read the Times probably heard about the cool fund-raising effort by the Queens Museum of Art for the updating and maintenance of the New York Panorama.

If you haven't, in short you can "purchase" buildings in the massive scale model of New York City that was Built by Robert Moses for the 1964 World’s Fair, a "9,335 square foot architectural model includ[ing] every single building constructed before 1992 in all five boroughs; a total of 895,000 individual structures."


As soon as I heard this I printed the form (pdf) and bought our apartment (private house/apartments are mostly $50) and last week I went out to survey my property; probably the safest real estate purchase one could make right now.

The model is fairly overwhelming with a cool pseudo helicopter tour, city sound effects and tiny planes taking off from JFK.

I found my neighborhood after a bit.

Ditmas Park, Brooklyn

And with the help of Photoshop picked out my building.

Approx 3/4" tall, 1 1/4" wide.

And here's the Flatiron building where I worked for a few years at Tor Books.

14th floor. My window was on the opposite side of the building.

I wanted to find all my apartments, places of employment and the shitty dive bars I've frequented since moving to New York, but I was getting serious eye-strain.

Wishing for street level views on Googlemaps.

No comments: