The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Watchmen Embroidery

Crafter Kittyzilla posted these fantastic Watchmen embroidery patterns on the Handmade Stuffs Blog. My two favorites are below with her explanation of the design process. I might have to learn how to embroider just to make a Rorschach.

I think Nite Owl II is my favorite of the bunch. I love the way the frame and background came out and he's making that "I'm a paunchy nerd who fights crime" face. Plus his quote is stupid and makes me giggle.
I wanted these to sort of look like a cross between a portrait and a religious icon. The religious icon I like not only for the look, but also because there's a certain mythological aspect to super heroes. Working with that, almost all of them have sort of the suggestion of a halo behind them. Also, I am one of those people who finds Rorschach absolutely adorable. I am properly ashamed of myself, don't worry.
Link via Kimmchi

No comments: