The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of a bookdealer in Brooklyn, New York.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Uses for Books: Fallout Shelter


I attended an estate sale this past weekend in one of the grottiest and most mold-ridden houses I've ever been inside, but it was exciting because it featured my first fallout shelter! Everything in it was rusted out and damp (looking like something out of Tarkovsky's Stalker) but I managed to salvage this pamphlet.

Facts About Fallout Protection (Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) Sorry for the lack of a better nav bar. I'm html challenged.

Among the useful tips I found these:
If you're on the road "a culvert that can be blocked off at both ends will furnish protection. A trench or ditch will also protect you if it can be quickly covered with three feet of earth."

and for those in the trade "In a pinch...stacks of books, magazines, newspapers, or filing cabinets" can be "put between yourself and the fallout".



Try doing THAT with a Kindle.

6 comments:

Jim Linderman said...

HEY! you've revealed the secret of my logo! (one of them, anyway) No copyright on govt publications, and I loved the green man getting dosed. I found mine in an antique mall.

Jim (Dull Tool Dim Bulb)

William Smith said...

Whoops! Sorry about that. Your blogs breed like bunnies.

Barbara said...

I'm lucky I know how to copy and paste since HTML is just foreign to me. I'm the geek that gets all happy when I figure out usually by accident how to do something.

Well at least I have some books and other stuff that I can use if I need to hole up in the basement.

Oleg said...

I actually laughed out loud at the Kindle joke. :)

Patty said...

Your Kindle has got nothing on my fallout blocking books ;) thanks for posting!

shushie said...

Awhile back in our book donation bin there was a paperback book called something like "How to Build An Effective Fallout Shelter in Your Basement or Cellar" and the photographs of 1950's adults and children hiding under leaning bookcases were great! I would've kept it if it weren't for the very bad mildew.