Dutch Treat Club: Year Book 1941 "Total Offense", 1941. First edition.
Privately printed yearbook for the "The Dutch Treat Club", a society of illustrators, writers and performers established in the early 1900s and still going today.
Wartime issue. 8" X 5.25". Paper-over-board, pictorial wraparound cover. Laminated/glossy. Photo EPs of nude women cavorting on a cannon. Unpaginated but approx 100 pages. Edition page jokingly states: "This edition is strictly limited to 12,500,00 copies (Berlin), 12.5 (London), of which every copy is number 1" (numeral "1" hand lettered).
Elaborately printed and illustrated. Filled with pin-up / girly art and cartoons from member illustrators including:
- Rube Goldberg
- Dean Cornwell
- Carl Mueller
- Arthur William Brown
- Otto Soglow
- Harry Beckhoff
- John J. Floherty, Jr.
- Frank Godwin (creator of the strip "Connie")
Famous members of the Dutch Treat Club include:
- Robert Benchley
- Robert M. McBride
- Isaac Asimov
- William Morris
- Ogden Nash
- Clarence Budington Kelland (president)
- Edward MacNamara (actor)
- Harold Ross (founder of the New Yorker)
- Whitney Darrow (cartoonist)
- J. P. McEvoy (Dixie Dugan creator)
- Westbrook Pegler (journalist)
- Lowell Thomas (broadcaster)
- Frank Crowninshield (editor Vanity Fair)
- William Beebe (Naturalist/Author)
- William De Beck (cartoonist "Barney Google")
- Cliff Sterrett
- Rex Stout
- Efrem Zimbalist
Apparently these yearbooks were well-known for their girly art but this is the first I've seen (though hopefully not the last). Priced a bit ambitiously but I'll still be sad if it sells.
UPDATE: This volume has sold but I have other Dutch Treat Club yearbooks in stock.