The Hang Fire Books Blog

The rantings of an online bookseller
in Brooklyn, New York.

Epic battles in the Salvation Army

Homeric journeys to the post office

Monday, January 7, 2013

Standing Desk

My New Year's resolution for 2013 is to get right with my back, so yesterday I converted my workstation into a standing desk.


It's tough to see without me for scale (and with the monitor and sunny window blowing the contrast) but I used this cheap Ikea-hacked solution (<$30) which rests atop my previous Ikea Frankendesk.

I'm looking into a gel mat to soften the tile floor a bit but currently I'm just wearing running shoes.

So far I've listed a box of books and here I am writing a blog post so it seems like standing is working out so far.

This actually brings me back to my early bookselling days when I stood all day--sporting a name tag and worn out khakis--and fetched gift books for the barely literate. That has mixed appeal obviously but I choose to focus on the memory of being limber, relatively skinny and in my early 20s.

I'm not going to lie, I am 100% looking forward to sitting down with a movie over lunch but the contrast will add some zing to my day.

And because I can't let anything stay healthy and productive for long, my next project is to pick up a PC arcade stick and turn my desk into a Sinistar emulator.

No comments: